Sign up ×
Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How does the BBC News website create the changing colour effect you get if you roll over their most popular stories on this webpage (see bottom right)

share|improve this question
Care to include a screenshot of what you are pointing out? – Zack Feb 1 '11 at 19:21
I don't know what the affect is but look for it in HTML5. It doesn't work in FF3.6 but it does work in the most current version of Chrome. – RandomBen Feb 1 '11 at 19:31
If… is what you want, then that can either be jQuery or CSS. I think CSS is the proper way, but not 100% sure. Still a CSS-novice. – Zack Feb 1 '11 at 19:49
I think the questioner means this area Sorry this isn't a comment but I don't have an account. [1]: – user5082 Feb 1 '11 at 20:03

2 Answers 2

At a guess they are using their own javascript library glow. It's like jquery but with wider browser support to meet their own (fairly strict) standards.

Specifically the anim function.

share|improve this answer

This can be accomplished through the use of jQuery.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.