I have an A record in GoDaddy pointing to my web server. I want to move this now to Route 53. The last time I did this it took almost 48 hours to propagate. I think because of the order I did things.
This is the process I think should hopefully minimize downtime:
- Create hosted zone for my domain to get the 4 name servers that I'll use as my delgation set.
- Add the 4 name servers to GoDaddy. GoDaddy has 2 other "Informational" name servers defined that look like you can't delete them?
- Now in Route 53 add a record set. Create A record to IP of my web server.
- Wait to see if dns propagation has happened. With dig?
- Remove A record from GoDaddy.
Will this process work with minimal or no downtime? Will dig tell me enough information to see that it is safe to remove the A record from GoDaddy?