I changed my domain's nameservers, but I don't think the change was processed correctly. Can anyone help me understand the result below "AFTER"? In my registrant's control panel, I change the name servers from
ns1.secure.net (etc.) to
ns1.linode.com (etc.). But, after the changed, it looked like the DNS was pointed nowhere at all.
Is this a normal in-between state during the process of nameserver changeover, or does this mean that the new nameservers were not correctly assigned?
$dig mobtownballroom.com ; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> mobtownballroom.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 19515 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;mobtownballroom.com. IN A ;; ANSWER SECTION: mobtownballroom.com. 69141 IN A 184.108.40.206 ;; AUTHORITY SECTION: mobtownballroom.com. 69141 IN NS ns2.secure.net. mobtownballroom.com. 69141 IN NS ns1.secure.net. ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION: ns1.secure.net. 63323 IN A 220.127.116.11 ns2.secure.net. 63323 IN A 18.104.22.168 ;; Query time: 44 msec ;; SERVER: 22.214.171.124#53(126.96.36.199) ;; WHEN: Fri Apr 4 18:19:12 2014 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 131
$dig mobtownballroom.com ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> -t ANY mobtownballroom.com ;; global options: printcmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 10778 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;mobtownballroom.com. IN ANY ;; AUTHORITY SECTION: com. 900 IN SOA a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1396650155 1800 900 604800 86400 ;; Query time: 0 msec ;; SERVER: 188.8.131.52#53(184.108.40.206) ;; WHEN: Fri Apr 4 18:22:57 2014 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 110
(For the time being, I have changed the nameservers back to
ns1.secure.net, so if you run
dig yourself now, you'll see "BEFORE".)
More detail about how I got here:
- A previous developer registered the domain with MelbourneIT.
- I transferred the registration to active-domain. The DNS settings carried over.
- Having trouble getting the
wwwsubdomain to work with the nameservrs, I tried to point the nameservers to Linode.
- The site "went down" and, as you can see, the DNS pointed nowhere.