Take the 2-minute tour ×
Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. It's 100% free, no registration required.

After having bought a domain (example.tld) without webspace, I want to let this point to my other domain called (myhomepage.somefreehoster.com).

I know this will work using DNS CNAME record and when someone looks for example.tld, the resulting IP will be this of myhomepage.somefreehoster.com.

However, how do I let this pass for emails sent via domain @example.tld (like webmaster@example.tld)? I do not want to send my mail through myhomepage.somefreehoster.com.

If this is not possible the way I am trying to do, let me please know some clever alternatives. Still, preferably, I would like to use a DNS redirect.

share|improve this question
for email you set different type of DNS record (MX), so it can differ from main DNS records. –  edvinas.me Mar 22 at 22:08
finally, I found out the domain provider only allows A records (I guess CNAME is for subdomains only), so everything is working now correctly; just had to adapt the .htaccess file; domains has to be told to hosting site too –  Terminello Mar 25 at 16:16

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

When a mail server wants to deliver mail to @domain.tld, it makes a DNS lookup for the MX record for that particular domain. It will connect to the server returned by the lookup with SMTP, and send the e-mail.

So, you should add the MX record for your @domain.tld domain, and enter the name of the server that handles the e-mail for that domain.

share|improve this answer
I try to let emails pass through using '@domain.tld' without changing anything because this is already working fine. –  Terminello Mar 22 at 22:23
CNAME has nothing to do with E-Mails. So, if your E-Mails for @domain.tld work fine already, you can simply add the CNAME. –  Tero Kilkanen Mar 22 at 22:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.