I want to create a printable informational sheet for the products on my website. I have over 1000 different products. Each product has a product page and each product page needs a link which will display the product's info sheet and offer an easy print option.
Some factors are:
- Info sheets will contain product specific info which will come from a database.
- Info sheets may include product specific images, stored on the web server.
- Info sheets will contain info that is user specific (supplied by form fields).
- We are considering emailing a copy of the info sheets.
- Info sheets will display the company logo and simple design elements.
I have lots of reasons to use HTML:
- Less CPU intensive on server
- No need to save or delete files
- Can be shown directly in emails
- Can be formatted with the same css as my website
- Versions automatically change as the database changes.
- Less cumbersome to view and download
I don't have as many reasons to use PDF:
- Widely accepted standard.
- Files can be saved by the client easily.
- Files can be shared.
HTML looks like the way to go, but this is new territory for me. Are there other compelling reasons to use one over the other?