I just recently started at a new company, and their live server has PHP v5.2.6 (yes, circa 2008). A site I recently designed for them actually wouldn't work on it because PHP is so old, so I've now been tasked with upgrading the server.
I'm thinking the best process is:
- Copying over all of our live sites to my personal server
- Testing our sites on my personal server with the newest versions of all of our software
- Making the versions on my server live (so that there are no interruptions in web access)
- Upgrading to the newest versions of all of our software on our live server
- Moving all of our sites back to our live server
- Making the sites on our live server live again
Does anybody see any holes in this plan?