Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can't figure out what name is this supposed to have:

We all know this little display-y things

I am talking about those "featured articles" sections. I just don't know how to google them so I can find some tutorial or guide on how to do one of those. I won't ask that of you, I just want to know the "official name" for those.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I don't think they an official name as such, but some ways to refer to them are 'featured article slider' or maybe just 'article slider' or 'content slider'.

share|improve this answer
Agreed – in the source code for the Live Science site, they refer to that section as a "slideshow". – Nick Oct 23 '13 at 7:06
Thanks a lot! I am now on my way to a pretty design :) And for the detective, Nick, well, I looked at that too, but I didn't get the answer to my problem with that. – minClisto Oct 23 '13 at 7:25

A website widget with previous and next arrows powered by JavaScript is usually called a "carousel", "image slider", or "rotating banner".

I would recommend that you not use them. They are not effective and cause user frustration.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.