Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My Apache server is located in a farm that is blocking an entire country for the sakes of 'security' and avoiding an hacking attack. I'm trying to bypass this block, and would like help in doing so.

What I've thought of is creating a proxy with a different IP that will transfer all the traffic to my current Apache server that is being blocked.

Can someone point out direction on what is the best way to do this along with implications I should be aware of? Is there maybe a service that provides such a solution without actually needing to find myself another server that will redirect the requests?

share|improve this question
In my experience, web hosts cost a lot of $. That make you the customer whom is always right. I'd suggest calling to complain. If you'd still like to do this look at 'Reverse Proxies': httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html – krowe Sep 12 '13 at 18:32
If the host is blocking a country, have you asked why? And do you know what country it is that they are blocking? I honestly never have heard of this issue ever, and now I am interested in it. Also, what is your hosting company? – user37204 Mar 26 '14 at 15:08

There is service and it is called an CDN (Content Delivery Network). I personally use and recommend Cloudflare as its fast and free to some extent. The implication is that any server based programs detect the IP of the visitor as the IP of the CDN unless you make some changes. This would also help in better site speed.

I you want to set up a reverse proxy, use varnish. Read more about it here. If you provide your server configuration, I may be able to provide link to a tutorial or two.

share|improve this answer
This doesn't answer their question – John Conde Dec 25 '13 at 15:05
I provided a simple alternate solution to the question. My answer is edited to provide a proper answer now. – Rana Prathap Dec 25 '13 at 15:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.