Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Not sure if this is the correct SE site to ask the question, but I am kinda unclear on how/if I can use AP photos. There are quite a few sites that use it with a credit underneath it. Is that enough? Do you still need the express written consent they talk about on their site? Does anyone run a site using AP photos? Thanks!

ps can't create tags, so someone feel free to correctly tag this

share|improve this question
Changed tag to "copyright". Was there a specific tag you were looking to use? – John Conde Oct 29 '10 at 19:43
Had nothing in mind in particular :) copyright is fine – Wil Oct 29 '10 at 19:53

They have a page called "Buy AP Photos". I'd say that implies they require either purchase or licensing. That page also lists whom to contact about it:

To reprint AP photos/graphics for commercial or editorial use

They also have a gallery for personal use. That seems to be free.

share|improve this answer

According to their FAQ you need to submit a request in writing.

share|improve this answer
Ya I saw that too, but if you are writing a news story, won't it take too long to turn around a request like that? That's why I was hoping to hear from someone who's done it before...everytime I want to use one and writing for permission seems...onerous. – Wil Oct 29 '10 at 19:54

Newspapers or TV stations can enter into agreements between the Associated Press and their organization for content licensing. However, since you asked only about images, I'm assuming that you're not an online newspaper.

Besides for that, there are two options:

First, and I quote the AP:

If you are not a member of The Associated Press, but want to receive AP news for your Web site or wireless service, company intranet, desktop or other interactive application, you can contact AP Digital by e-mail at APDigital@ap.org.

You may be able to discuss multiple image licensing with AP Digital, if that is what you want (as I understand from your comment on BenV's answer).

Second, as John Conde points out, AP Images may be able to help you out as well, and they may also be able to answer questions about multiple image licensing.

Or, if for some odd reason you should prefer to use traditional mail (dunno why since you're here on Webmasters, but still), AP's licensing division can be reached at:

The Associated Press
450 W. 33rd St.
New York, NY 10001

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.