Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm very new to webdesign and am wanting to install a scrolling news/picture banner in the site but don't even know the proper term to search for to find out how to do it. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ed.gov/ and http://www.nysed.gov/

What is this called?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Dynamic Drive calls them Slide-Shows. There are tons of variations. Slideshow is a common name. It may also be called a Carousel if it appears to turn. There is probably no official name if that is what you are looking for.

share|improve this answer
Thank you for the starting point – Tyler Rinker Mar 15 '13 at 22:30

Your open a whole new world to your web designs by searching for "jQuery Examples"

Some links here for you to explore which has jQuery sliders which is basiclly what I see on those links provided.

Enjoy your new founded world of jQuery... Search for jQuery Isotope you're love that one ;)

share|improve this answer
Thank you for the tips. I didn't know about these. This is much appreciated. – Tyler Rinker Mar 15 '13 at 22:30
No problem at all. – Simon Hayter Mar 15 '13 at 22:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.