We have a growing issue to address, and I was curious as to what best practices were.
Here's the deal: we have multiple domain names and web folders (all under the same corporate umbrella). For example purposes, let's assume the following:
- Our domains are www.companyX.com and www.companyXsub.com.
- Both web sites reside on the same physical server. We'll say that companyX.com resides in /inetpub/www/CompanyX, and companyXsub.com resides in /inetpub/www/CompanyXSub.
- companyX.com is coded primarily in classic ASP, while companyXsub.com uses ASP.NET.
- Both sites draw data from the same SQL Server database.
- The two sites are listed as separate sites under the same IIS instance.
Here's our issue: both sites need to share resources -- documents, forms, images, graphics, etc.
What are the best practices for doing this? My initial thought is to set up a separate folder for these resources and access them via a virtual directory or symbolic links. Is this the best way to go, or are there better methods?
Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Edit: My partner-in-crime also pointed out that these shared resources need to be maintained using TFS.