Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an old site that is in danger of being compromised as many of the directories and files have permissions set to 777. However, when I try to change them to 555 via FileZilla I get the error

500 'SITE CHMOD 555 filename': command not understood

Googling it only reveals issues relevant to connecting to the server, but I can do that, as well as up and downloading files. I'm not sure what this means exactly. Is it that my account doesn't have sufficient permissions to make these changes?

share|improve this question
Do you have SSH access? – Josh Mountain Feb 20 '13 at 1:09
@Riboflavin no, just FTP – MeltingDog Feb 20 '13 at 1:13
Are you on a Windows server? chmod is a unix command. – w3dk Feb 20 '13 at 10:10
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Better change the permissions either via your File manager( which should be available in your control panel) or directly via SSH access by using the chmod command.

share|improve this answer
Yes was able to do this via control panel. Thanks – MeltingDog Feb 21 '13 at 4:10
As w3d pointed out in his comment, chmod, a UNIX/LINUX command is not available on a Windows Host. FileZilla uses the chmod command, and AFAIK, there is no equivalent in Windows. The control Panel in Plesk I assume is akin to the Security Tab of the Properties Window in Windows, which is why you are able to "via the control panel" – eyoung100 Sep 17 '14 at 21:22

It is likely caused by your web host disallowing the chmod command over FTP. If you have a control panel available through your host I would use that to try to change the folder permissions and see if it works that way.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.