Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for the name and some possible jquery libraries etc for the standard bottom of screen popup bar.

Its like a little bar that pops out on the bottom of the screen after X seconds or however really - generally slides up, about 50px or so high, and usually the length of the main container. used for some form of coupon advertisement or various promotion text etc.

What is the proper term for this item, and would there be any good references to best-use guidelines?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's called "The Catfish". Sitepoint wrote an article about doing it a long time ago but I'm sure it's still effective today.

share|improve this answer
Jquery UI can also be used for various overlays. jqueryui.com/dialog – paulmorriss Dec 18 '12 at 10:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.