Need help moving a web site for a client, which I will call ClientABC. The web site is ClientABC.com, which is hosted at Rackspace, with their email hosted at eHost. We are transferring the site from Rackspace to WinHost and are keeping the email hosted at eHost. I would like the transfer to happen with little to no down time for the web site and email (email is most important).
- Client owns domain and registrar is Network Solutions
- Domain name is managed by VendorX at Rackspace
- Web site is hosted on Rackspace servers
- Email is hosted at eHost
- Web site is hosted at WinHost
- Keep Email at eHost
Here is my plan for the transfer:
- Copy the site files to WinHost and test to assure site is fully functional
- Set up the MX record in the WinHost account to point to eHost servers
- Change the DNS in Network Solutions from Rackspace to Winhost
- Will this work?
- What am I missing?
- Should I expect down time or any issues with email?
- I understand that there will be a period of time that traffic to the site is handled at both Rackspace and Winhost and that email traffic will be routed through both hosts as well. Will this cause issues?
- How will I know when the change is fully propagated and that Rackspace is out of the equation and WinHost is handling everything (so I can kill the Rackspace account)
Thanks in advance!