I am looking for a tournament management software that includes some non-standard things. So far, I haven't found anything usable for my purposes and I don't expect any to exist. Instead I want to find something close that I can extend and tweak according to my wishes.
Here are the requirements, for which I am looking for in a web-based tournament management software:
- Customizable: open-source would be perfect, otherwise at least needs to support plug-ins to support different kinds of sports/games/results/etc.
- Authentication: support for authenticated users that can be related to different tournaments as well as teams
- Runs mostly non-supervised: as the tournaments are web-based I'd like to give contestants the possibility to sign-up themselves (based on authentication system to reduce the spamming problem) and report results themselves. Result reports vary dramatically based on the actual tournament, hence, may require some result determination plug-ins. The goal is to drastically reduce the required manual effort by administrators compared to typical tournament management software.
- Web interface: I am not interested in off-line tournament management software
- Active: If in any way possible I'd like to build upon software that is maintained and/or in active development
Some optional nice-to-have features would be:
- automatic bracket generation with selectable algorithms (round-robin, KO system, etc)
- visualizations (mainly brackets)
I am asking this question after researching alternatives my google-fu could find. I will list the tools here that I found and what is wrong with them for my purposes. Please feel free to help me improve my google-fu, or point out if I have overlooked something in my evaluations.
- open tournament system: looks roughly like what I had in mind, but never seems to have taken off and is unmaintained for almost half a decade now
- KMleague: also sounds nice, but doesn't appear to be maintained anymore (I couldn't get access to their forums for more information either. Never received the activation e-mail.) Maybe someone here knows it and whether it's worthwhile to check out the code as a starting point.
- In this SO thread I found Tourney logic and TournamentAPI, which both require off-line management of the tournaments. Additionally, the first is commercial and the latter hasn't released anything yet.
- Konkuri.com - gives me not enough customization possibilities and requires heavy moderation by some administrator.
Several commercial products I quickly dismissed for their lack of customizability (most are strictly limited to a certain sport/game) and because all I came across where again off-line managed.
Does anyone know of something that could be used as a starting point, or will I have to develop such a system from scratch?