Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

While reading an article I got a word called Keyword stemming. Can anyone please tell me what is it?

share|improve this question

It is the process of reducing each word to its stem. E.g. "searched", "searches", "searching" all become just the root word (or stem) "search" in a search index.

In terms of websites, this is frequently used for search functionality. I.e. enabling any form of the search term to find all variations of the supplied keyword. It can significantly improve the search experience.

share|improve this answer
"Stemming" reduces words to their stem, but I think "keyword stemming" goes the other way. Rather than reducing words to their stem, website developers will create longer keywords from the stem, to specifically target different variations of the stem word. – w3dk Nov 8 '12 at 11:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.