Related to another question - if you need to get URL rewriting implemented ASAP, what are some methods that you've used or know of that can speed this up?
We managed to do several hundred products in under 8 hours. Here was our scenario:
Our products table looked like this:
So we wrote a small batch program that would loop through our
Our products don't change very often, so we just re-run this manually each time we added something. Not elegant, but this is about getting it done quick/cheap.
Then, everywhere that our links were printed to products, we just made sure that the links were outputted to their full URL.
This took about 8 hours in total.
A single generic URL Rewriting rule that looks something like this:
This meant we could write:
And it would rewrite to the correct URL. Then it's just a matter of changing the output of your URL links.
* DISCLAIMER: My regex skills are very rusty and I made those up on the spot. They may be wrong. Your milage on the actual regex's may vary, but the concept still stands.