I have a Google Sites personal website. I also have maintained sites on
- Wordpress dot com (Wordpress hosted)
- Typepad and
None are self-hosted, because I wanted to try doing everything for free, as an experiment.
If choosing between Blogger and Google Sites, given that both are free, I would probably choose Blogger if I wanted to:
- use AdSense and/or AdWords (although one could do so on Google Sites, I guess)
- have a site that were user friendly enough for my mother to visit,
- offer comments using Disqus or Intense Debate or just Blogger's own system,
- post things on Twitter frequently etc.
- use social bookmarking or "Sharing" buttons
Google Sites offers more control, as one would have with a real website (directories etc.) Google Sites also allows all sorts of, well, interesting ways of embedding things easily. This is my Google Site. Don't laugh at how silly some looks. The site is child friendly, no malicious links etc. I have no AdSense on the site, no Google Analytics (although I did claim the site with Google Webmaster). Google Sites of course allows you to point your DNS to it. Blogger does too. However, Blogger (blogspot) is a Google-owned property.
Typepad free blogs are rather limited. I have one, but can't do too much with it. The fee-based Typepad websites are quite expensive, but they do provide customer service. A nice feature of Typepad, even free blogs, are that it is much easier to leave comments on other Typepad blogs.