Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there something like Firebug for Internet Explorer? I've got a site that is only supposed to be working in IE so I'm only targeting IE and the site is not supposed to work in Firefox.

share|improve this question
up vote 13 down vote accepted

F12. (Oh, that's too short for an answer). The F12 key brings up built-in developer tools. It may not do everything that Firebug does, but it can do most things.

share|improve this answer
I just discovered this week that it has full Javascript debugging, which is great. – DisgruntledGoat May 4 '12 at 16:19
As a short addendum to this, the F12-tool has limited DOM manipulation but very good javascript debugging & profiling. You can also switch render engines to IE7/IE8 from there to get a general idea of how the older browsers will present your page. (Not a perfect representation, but catches 95% of the things) – Aren May 4 '12 at 22:37
Thank you for the answer. – Programmer 400 May 11 '12 at 11:57
@paulmorriss I accept this accept of course. I'm just a little late in doing so since I am mostly at SO for my questions and answers. – Programmer 400 May 18 '12 at 9:18

Your best options are Firebug lite, the newer firebugger, or IE Web Developer

share|improve this answer
Thank you for the links. I followed them'all. – Programmer 400 May 11 '12 at 11:57

The F12-tool does the most things needed.

share|improve this answer

Chrome and FireFox have generally been the ones with the best expansion capability and built-in and third-party developer tools. However, IE9 has built-in developer tools allowing you to browse and step through client-side code in much the same way as Chrome's developer kit or FireBug. It's accessed, as paulmorriss said, using the F12 key or by opening the menu (the gear icon on the far right) and selecting "F12 developer tools".

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the answer. – Programmer 400 May 11 '12 at 11:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.