Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is this type of texture referred to in web design? Blotted, blotched? And what are the best ways or tools to generate similar textures and backgrounds?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It's unlikely that's been generated at all.
You can poke around the search results for something along the line of "speckled paper Photoshop tutorial," find one you like and then learn how to do it, but it'll probably be faster to just go to your nearest art store, buy some actual paper in whatever color you want, and run it through a scanner. Or have a poke around some stock photography sites.

share|improve this answer
Thanks Su. "Speckled" was the word I was looking for. – hondaman Feb 21 '12 at 23:28
Stock image sites will probably have a good selection, but if you do decide to make an image yourself, you should use a scanner instead of a camera, since it'll be hard to pick up the fine textures using regular cameras without a macro lense. As well, unless you have a way to mount the paper and camera, it'll be very hard to get a perfectly face-on shot. – Lèse majesté Feb 22 '12 at 7:56
Erm, yes. Scanner. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. – Su' Feb 22 '12 at 11:10

Here's a decent primer on background textures in web design from smashing magazine and a further article from the same site on how to find more (there are tons of high quality free ones about the web).

The texture you've posted looks like paper to me, and it's style is 'tiled' in the sense that it needs to be repeated up and down the page to work.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.