Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen scripts that allow you to zoom images, i want to do the same for text, is this possible?

Like onmouseover or hover it zooms images. i want it for text! is it possible?

share|improve this question
You're not describing what you want very well; there's more detail necessary. Can you provide a link to what you're referring to as far as the image example? This could be interpreted as anything from a simple image expander, to a fisheye menu. – Su' Feb 7 '12 at 8:03

In at least Firefox & Chrome you can make the text within a block bigger by using the :hover syntax. Apparently this only works for links in IE. Here's an example:


<title>magnifying glass example</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="mag.css" />
This text will not magnify.
<div class="magnifiable">
This text can be magnified.


body { color: black; }
div.magnifiable { color: red; }
div.magnifiable:hover { font-size: 200%; }
share|improve this answer
Just a note, :hover only works for links in IE6. – Jamie Schembri Feb 7 '12 at 18:02
@Jamie Schembri: Answer edited to reflect the browser dependencies I'm aware of. – GreenMatt Feb 8 '12 at 14:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.