Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If possible, I'd like to know whether to use my name or the website's name when making the copyright notice for my website.

I read here that when I add a copyright notice to my website I should include

(3) the name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative designation of the owner.

Would the use of the website name instead of my name be considered a valid "alternative designation of the owner"?

Thanks in advance.

share|improve this question
Your name, website name or Company Name, either one should be fine – Sandeep Bansal Sep 7 '11 at 16:44
@Sandeep Bansal Thanks for the reply :) – oooooo Sep 8 '11 at 0:38
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I would use your own name. A website is not an individual or a legal organisation, even though it may be created by, or represent either of those.

share|improve this answer
OK. Thanks for the information. – oooooo Sep 9 '11 at 15:17

Basically by providing the copyright notice, you're telling others that THE content is copyrighted, whether you are the only author or if you get help from a friend and they contribute to your site too (multiple authors).

You don't need to provide your name in the copyright notice, you can only mention your domain or website name if it's unique enough, take a look at nbcnews.com for example.

But a website needs a real valid contact, that's a must if you're serious with what you do.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.