This Post: "Progressive" JPEG: Why do many web sites avoid rendering JPEGs that way? Pros, cons? stat that many browsers do not support Progressive JPEG citing this Wikipedia Article.
What I have not found is which browsers do and do not support it.
I know FF 7 supports it but I have not tested the other browsers to know.
Does anyone have a comparison chart or something similar?
Bonus Question: What e-mail clients support Progressive JPEG? (Desktop E-Mail Clients e.g. Outlook & Thunerbird etc)
So I decided to run few test to see how browsers handled Progressive JPEGs. Here is what I found:
- Firefox 7 - Displayed Correctly
- Internet Explorer 7 & 8 - Displayed Photo once finished downloaded (Did not load scan by scan)
- Safari 5 - Displayed Photo once finished downloaded (Did not load scan by scan)
- Chrome 13 - Display Correctly
- Opera 11.5 - Displayed Correctly
If anyone has any comments to my test or any thoughts please let me know (Including how older browsers of the ones that did load it correctly work).
I am still wondering about email clients if anyone can help with that.