How to find web hosting that meets my requirements?
We develop and host for many clients. I am choosing an upgrade over shared hosts, preferably a VPS. The new site should be able to deploy PHP for multiple sites. It should also support a localhost python web process (no Django/frameworks involded) (I described the details in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6939561/most-easy-reliable-cheap-way-to-deploy-this-python-workhorse-app-with-a-php-f ).
We expect ~1000 hits a day combined (and very modest spikes expected) and consequent bandwidth use of 20gb per month.
So, I ask for:
- latest versions of PHP, Python on a popular distro, accessible via shell
- fair pricing at this traffic level (~10$ per month)
- fair pricing for scaling up and good upgrade/scale options
- GUI config for multiple sites/ server features
- sync via SSH even over an obscure network architecture (I am told we have no "public IPs")
As a hypothetical question, which provider could help me set up a GIT/Mercurial+TRAC server the most easily? (I know there are things like Bitbucket but this seems a hypothetical challenge that corelates well)
I heard good things about WebFaction and Pyrox. How will they suit my above requirements? I dont want to steer the conversation prematurely.
I will start off from WebFaction or VPSlink which have been doing it for years, and the economics are firmly on that side and also easier for a newb. But Linode is what I choose a great upgrade for a serious site.