I am basically looking for a cheap hosting provider to host a Call of Duty game server in India. But this is not a localized question actually as you will see when you go through the complete question.
The server must be physically located in India otherwise gaming experience is very poor due to the large delay/ping. Your enemy does not get killed even if it looks like your bullet hit him. For more details check my question http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/15803/good-public-dedicated-call-of-duty-servers-list-for-players-in-india-please
The game needs a windows platform.
- The game should be running all the time.
- Not a big issue if the hosting cost is not low. But it should allow me to set up user authentication later so that I can allow only paid users to play and recover the expenses or offer paid gaming services.
This is basically an effort to solve the problem of absence of dedicated-public multiplayer game servers in India. This is not a problem specific to India but to many geographies of the world where gaming culture is not mature yet. For more details check this question and see if you can help there -
Even http://www.gametracker.com does not have any listed dedicated servers in India, nor does it offer hosting for one.
- What is my best option here. I have no idea what kind of interface I will get if I purchase a windows hosting. I have only worked on Linux hostings, interacted using cpanel etc.
- Is it possible to just purchase a windows hosting and then install games myself, do any authentication I want?
- Additionally, I am also looking some web space to host my personal projects. The projects may go live in near future and I may need to scale up resources. But right now I am just a beginner with no live websites. I basically work on LAMP projects (Linux Apache Mysql PHP). It would be nice if one hosting solves all my requirements. I am very new to hosting fundamentals and it sounds as difficult to me as investments. I checked a lot of questions here like -
But I am still clueless. Is Amazon EC2 hosting a possible solution? As per http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/faqs/#What_operating_system_environments_are_supported Windows server as well many linux OS are supported.