Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm thinking about ways to create the effect of crumbled paper for my website. The background color can vary, so the idea I came up with is to super impose the 'crumble' effect onto any colored background. Where can I find such a graphic? Any suggestions on how to make one if none are available?


share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted
  1. Scan or license a copy of an image of crumpled white paper
  2. In your graphics editing software, copy only the shadows of black from the image (in Photoshop I use the Select > Color Range feature with the darkest shade selected and medium fuzziness)
  3. Apply a threshold to the selection to ensure that only dark colors will be copied
  4. Paste the shades of black onto a transparent canvas and save as PNG-24 with transparency


Color examples

PNG example

share|improve this answer
exactly what i was looking for:) – whamsicore Apr 17 '11 at 5:43

I'm guessing you mean crumpled, rather than crumbled? As in screwed up and unfolded again, with lots of creases?

You will probably want an illustration without a semi-transparent background. The closest I could find was a folded piece of paper: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illustration-5770021-folded-paper-background.php?st=3d670de

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.